When it came time to decide
who would receive a dollar,
she paused on the sidewalk to reflect.
She always kept a few dollar bills
for her shopping visits to the city.
She always felt refreshed giving something.
Today, her considerations were many:
- woman with a sleeping child leaning against a lamp post
- Vet in a wheelchair with a sign (‘pease give’)
- addict stepping into traffic
- earnest ‘Spare Change’ vendor
- person in a blanket-tent on the sidewalk.
One was too desperate
one couldn’t spell
one shuffled like a marionette
one was hardly working
one she couldn’t see.
Each came with an obligation.
She had something to say against each
and just enough cash
for a good cup of coffee.